i’m going to talk a little about tonight and some more about 2002. but first, tonight:
i must have spent at least half an hour typing ‘dooooooooooood!!’ on ICQ to jemma and mr. mischiff.
tonight myself and ria went to south bay pub and restaurant. i have wanted to go there for some time .. i figured it was some hokey dive because of its radio advertising campaign. their ads have someone with a really bad fake jamaican accent saying “come to south bay mon!” realllllllly cheesy.. but the advertisement had mentioned cheap chicken wings. my interest was piqued.
so we got there. it’s in the jutland area, the new office building wharf (for lack of a better word) on the gorge. i used to work for the ministry of forests in the same complex in 1996. it wasn’t finished then.. i guess it’s been 6 years. things change. it’s done.
we park, we arrive.
we were greeted by:
and so we did. it was pretty busy in there and it appeared that they were severely understaffed on this night. there was only one waitress that i saw for about 30 people. anybody looking for a job? they should be hiring.. hehe. anyway, it’s pretty cool looking in there…
i am listening to dzihan and kamien’s “gran riserva” .. krishen gave it to me for christmas. it’s really awesome.. it would have fit south bay pub & restaurant a lot better than the john tesh they were playing. and the r&b was kind of depressing but pretty easy to tune out.
after some food, we went wandering around the gorge. i messed around with exposure times tonight with my canon and i was pleasantly surprised with some leet lighting. there is a walk way that follows the peninsula and then leads to a bridge over the gorge. we went on that path. it was pretty dark but you wouldn’t know it from some of these pictures..
that’s the bridge that crosses the gorge. the last time i was actually out there was about 8 years ago. the bridge at that time was a broken train trestle.. they have redone it into a really nice foot or bike bridge. i knew about this for several years now but i haven’t had a chance to check it out until tonight. it’s gorgeous out there.. in an ugly urban kind of way. which i quite like:
i’m going to refer to this area as jutland wharf until someone corrects me. it’s at the end of jutland, and it’s essentially a wharf on the end of a little peninsula. jut land wharf. okie dokie. this is the view from the bridge, although it didn’t really look like this. it looked pretty dark, but this is all about me fiddling around with my camera so lets say it looks this way for now.
the path on the other side of the bridge leads to one that goes underneath bay street bridge. it looks like the sky is blue .. krazy! we went underneath the bridge where some guy asked us for a lighter or matches. we said no. seperately. ria sung a song about having nothing at all, and i continued to walk. by the way, it was very chilly tonight .. but all was fine because of the gloves.
that’s just over the bay street bridge in vic west. they’re building it just across the road from save on foods, close to the water. man, this sure is cool looking. haha, i am such a photogeek.
so of course, we had to venture towards the bay street bridge and make the crossing. they say that if you walk on this road long enough, you will get to alzu’s from this point. and, conveniently, if you walk further on this road after alzu’s, you will arrive at the jubilee emergency room. do these city planners know me or what? i knew that, if i was to take a picture on this bridge, it would have to be a lot different than the one i’ve seen on jim‘s website many times before. jim doesn’t post it a lot, i just look at his pictures a lot. there is some distinction to be made there.
you can see many of victoria’s landmarks in this image. i think that, after a while, even those piles of dirt and gravel look like landmarks. haha. we walked up bay for a bit until we could find a road to walk up that was in the right direction, which happened to be left.
we arrived back on the wharf after walking through some of the industrial area. there is activity late at night there, of an industrial nature. pretty weird, we waved to some guy that booting around in a fork lift in what looked like a recycling warehaus. he waved back at us, looked totally confused, and then we disappeared. we assume he went back to work after this.
from the wharf you could see the area where the forklift guy was. well, you can’t really, all you can see are giant piles of garbage. he’s behind that, or to the left. something like that. what i really like about this picture is how one of the cranes appears to be cutting the light. neat. some windows users may not be able to see this. others .. may be able to.
on the wharf near the car, we spotted this weird thing here. i guess it’s supposed to be a plug or something. this image is my new desktop. this was shot at around 11:20 pm. it was dark. want to see how dark it actually was tonight? it is just so zope!
oh yes.. so 2002 for me:
- i started writing music part time and remixing part time under the alias “AFK”
- rgm went buh-bye for now
- i recorded etheric link with yoseff, a pretty rockin’ CD.
- i have turntables all of a sudden. i know how to spin, but i could never justify spending $1800 myself on decent turntables. thank you rgm.
- talks with The Zone 91.3 started
- i recorded stealth, a CD that had about 2 years of planning put into it. i still like it. that’s a good sign!
- RGM presents “Experience” started up at 11 Stones, with myself, craig/bedlam and adrian/mischiff as the masterminds behind the operation.
- myself and bedlam put out “experience: paradigm” as the first of series of mix CD’s we were going to put together to exclusively give away at the club
- i turned 24
- all was successful until, 3 months into growing and succeeding, the club had yet another fire. such bad timing.. listeners of the radio show had started to come out to the club to enjoy what they had been listening to for the previous 3 years..
- i recorded elliptical orbit, which could very well be my favourite mix in terms of flow and all that. it featured my own AFK remixes of LSG’s “Netherworld” and Underworld’s “Pearls Girl.”
- went all the way to campbell river to headline a conkrete concepts event. plenty of fun!
- i finished all my courses
- i graduated (this is somehow different than finishing all your courses) from college
- anand graduated with his degree
- krishen graduated with his double degree
- neil graduated from highschool.
- went on a great spur of the moment drive to seattle to visit liam
- krishen moved to florida 🙁
- i started a blog
- me and yoseff started up chlorine once again!
- i started working for bc hydro
- i went and saw sasha and john digweed’s delta heavy tour in vancouver at the rage. 140,000 watts of sound. what more needs to be said about that? man.
- i performed in plays for elementry school kids grades 1-3. i’ve had more fun only a few times. ever.
- anand moved to north vancouver 🙁
- i accepted a job in nanaimo working again for bc hydro
- i bought a digital camera after spending the last year falling in love with photography from reading and watching jim & julie‘s sites.
- chlorine ended again. we’ll be back!
- i met a tonne of rad people. and i remember their names!
- from most to least amount, people from the united states, canada, the united kingdom, netherlands, japan, portugal, australia, france, hungary, sweden, the czech republic, singapore, switzerland, denmark, new zealand, poland, austria, brazil, belgium, romania, korea (south), finland, israel, and germany have visited this site. there are more. those are the top visitors.
- since september, 10217 unique visitors have visited this site to put 224342 hits on the server. hello there.
there is obviously much more. click on the months to the right to read about it. 🙂
2002 was good. 2003 will be gooder. see you all next year! i hope you have a massive nu year! noice one!!!!!! i said, noiiiiice!@#%(%^&