This one-shot effect is produced by overexposing the moon while shooting with a UV filter. The moon on the right is the real moon, the moon on the left is the ghost produced by the filter.
i walk past this guy regularly so I thought I’d get him in a photo. there are a bunch of other beachwood art pieces on this lawn, but this is the one that always catches my eye. to the right of this a bit there is a huge pile of beachwood. is it legal to take that off the beach? not too sure I care either way but I think this art is pretty neat.
Nickgurns brought me back a present from Tokyo. As you can see, it is boss. Thanks Nickgurns!
I don’t actually know what it is, but I suspect what Nick was trying to tell me was that it is coffee in a can. Wicked! this is something I can enjoy while sitting on my new Hawaii Chair.
I was going to post a photo of some flowers blooming just to make a point to everyone in Canada who is not in Victoria, but what’s the point? That’s old news now – the cherry trees started blooming here in December.
Here’s a mix I did for a spotlight that Frisky Radio did on Canada entitled Frisky Loves Canada. The DJ’s featured were Paranoid Jack, Deadmau5, Kristian Littmann, AFK, Mistress Barbara, John Morgan, Mute & Laki, Hatiras, and Kevin Shiu.
This mix begins ambient with a bit of a gem from Pako and Frederick, then goes straight for the progressive house jugular with a remix from Kasey Taylor (AKA Ocean Wave), then goes a bit dark with a track from Dynamic Illusion before submitting to the awesome “Bass Trap” from Quest and the Dirty Fours. From this point we get into some heavy weight progressive house with an Elfsong remix of Cream Sound, and the refreshing “Table 5” from Dale Anderson and Anil Chalwa. Max Graham shows up for a bit of an epic piece with his remix of Swedish Beatballs (is this something you can get from Ikea?) and of course I have to stick my nose in here somewhere and drop some of my own stuff – Stefan Anion’s remix of Seismic and one of my two new remixes of Benz & MD – Signals finish off the mix. I have done some sneaky things in the mix to keep it flowing properly, even when confronted with complete genre changes, so I hope you enjoy all the efforts. Thanks to Ben Malcolm at The Media Burnout for the voiceovers, and also much thanks to Faisal Sultan @ Frisky Radio for doing the show.
- Pako & Frederick – Percunia (Pako and Frederick Chillout mix – AFK Edit) – Global Underground
- Antix – Red Robin (Kasey Taylor remix) – Iboga Records
- Dynamic Illusion – Afterglow Effect (Original mix) – Morphosis Records
- Quest vs. The Dirty Fours – Bass Trap (Original mix) – Vapour Recordings
- Cream Sound – Intromodul (Elfsong remix) – Morphosis Records
- Dale Anderson and Anil Chalwa – Table 5 (Original mix) – Global Underground
- Marcus Schossow – Swedish Beatballs (Max Graham remix) – Electronic Elements
- AFK and Dustin H – Seismic (Stefan Anion’s Running For Cover remix) – Pacific Front Recordings
- Benz & MD – Signals (AFK’s Dragon Dub) – Proton Music
Download: AFK on Frisky Loves Canada (mp3)
Right click and Save As, or option-click the link on a Mac to automatically download
This is Willows Beach near Estevan Village, yesterday at noon.
Just a reminder that Frisky Radio’s spotlight on Canada airs tomorrow starting at 11 AM PST with:
- Paranoid Jack
- Kristian Littmann
- Mistress Barbara
- John Morgan
- Mute & Laki
- Kevin Shiu
Frisky Loves Canada
Who has RSS feeds? I do! See the little orange broadcaster (RSS) icon in the navigation? Copy that link into your RSS client or click on it if you are spiff and have a local RSS aggregation client set up already. If you don’t have an RSS client set up, point your browser at google’s new (and beta) reader, a place for you to collect the news feeds for sites you read regularly. what I like about google’s take on the aggregator is that it allows you to share feed items with your contacts within the reader and point them at cool stuff. here are the blogs i have subscribed to:
- Adam’s House of Fun
- Adventures on the Blue
- Delicious Juice Dot Com
- Habitual Distortion
- Velvety Couch
Do you have an RSS feed that I should know about?
What is inverted subject composition?
I made the term up to describe what I was trying to achieve in the photo above. Here’s what makes up the idea:
- Light is on the outside portions of the photo
- Focus is on the outside portions of the photo
- Darkness in center of photo
- Bokeh mostly in center of photo
What is the purpose of this?
This has a couple of applications I can think of:
- The negative space in this circumstance is the draw – if you want to make reference to mystery or anything that is focussed on the unknown, this makes what you can’t see the item of interest.
- Practically speaking this is not a bad thing to frame typeset against, with the type being in the middle in a column. Lack of focus in the middle provides a smooth unobtrusive backdrop to press details of type against, and darkness in the middle means you can use white type for added punch – this would be killer in a back-lit display, such as what you see on bus stops and airport ceiling-to-floor campaigns, or a website.
That’s all I can think of right now. It is odd that I am a designer but I do not have a design category on this website. Time to change that..